Teach yourself A-Level maths part 2 – online resources
Whilst studying for my exams I discovered a few key things;
- I still love Maths
- I had forgotten everything I learnt when I was 16
- I can still pick the concepts up again, but not as easily as I used to
- Thankfully, there are a number of resources out there to help you…..
I want to share with you the resources I used to help me study for my exams, and I hope that they can help you too!
- Edexcel Mathematics Core 1 Specification – This will help give you an overview of what you’ll be expected to know, and you can refer back to it tom make sure you’ve not missed anything.
- Edexcel Formulae Booklet – You’ll need this to hand when doing worked examples, or working through past papers, as this is the booklet you will have access to during the exams.
- Edexcel Past Papers – These will be crucial to your learning, and are a must for anyone about to take these exams. The more of these you can do as practice, the more comfortable you’ll be in the exam.
- Examsolutions – This website contains video tutorials for all aspects of the specification.
NOTE: Obviously the above resources only apply specifically to Edexcel examinations. If you have chosen an alternative exam board you would need to consult their documentation.
ExamSolutions is a GCSE, AS and A-level Maths revision site with over 3000 free maths video tutorials and worked solutions to past papers.
Examsolutions basically taught me everything I needed to know about Mathematics for the Core 1 and Core 2 papers, and I will definitely be using it for my other exams. The site is run by Stuart Sidders, who left teaching after 5 years and became a maths tutor for a further 32 years. he set up Examsolutions in 2006 providing video tutorials and worked solutions for A-Level and GCSE Maths, with the aim of making maths freely available to all.
Stuart’s videos are very clear and to the point, and are broken down by topic to make easily digestible nuggets of information. I found the best way to learn was to watch the videos on Examsolutions one topic at a time. Once I had watched all the videos in a topic, I would then attempt past paper questions which relate to this topic to practice. This is another great feature of the site, where past paper questions are indexed by their topic, so underneath the video tutorials, you can select ‘exam questions’ and get a list of links to the relevant questions on each past paper.
Once I had covered all topics, I would then work through the past papers as often as I could to keep the information fresh in my mind.I would definitely recommend Examsolutions to anyone wishing to learn A-Level Mathematics. I will continue using the site when I am ready to start studying for my Core 3 & 4 exams, with my only issue being that it doesn’t cover Decision Mathematics, which I am considering taking as my options!
Thanks for reading!
Like me on Facebook - Follow me on Instagram - Follow me on Twitter