Escape the Classroom
Ever fancied running an escape game in your classroom? Now you can!
I recently created a resource for educational visits to Bletchley Park. The idea is to present students with a mystery to solve, and using codes and ciphers, teams can narrow down a list of suspects to find the culprit, and escape the classroom to report them to the authorities!
The team with the fastest escape time AND the correct culprit win!
You can download the full resource pack below which includes all ciphers and clues, instructions on how to set up a game, introduction, reflective questions and mystery to solve. You can use these resources or amend them to suit your needs.
Level: Beginner / Intermediate/ Advanced – puzzles can be scaffolded for ability, suitable for KS3 and 4
Duration: 60 minutes
- Understand how numbers can be represented in binary, and be able to carry out simple operations on binary numbers
- Understand several key algorithms that reflect computational thinking (all cipher’s require an algorithm to solve)
- Understand a range of ways to use technology safely, respectfully, responsibly and securely
- Develop and apply their analytic, problem-solving, design, and computational thinking skills
- Understand how changes in technology affect safety, including new ways to protect their online privacy and identity, and how to identify and report a range of concerns (ciphers relate to encryption)
- Understand and apply the fundamental principles and concepts of computer science, including abstraction, decomposition, logic, algorithms, and data representation
- Analyse problems in computational terms through practical experience of solving such problems
- Think creatively, innovatively, analytically, logically and critically
- Understand the impacts of digital technology to the individual and to wider society
- Apply mathematical skills relevant to computer science Understanding ciphers also directly links with the topics of System or Cyber Security.
Download the full resource pack below:
I use the Breakout Edu kit, but you can also put together your own.Thanks for reading!
Like me on Facebook - Follow me on Instagram - Follow me on Twitter